[Gpg4win-users-en] Initial install questions or how many red flags will we raise?

logical american website.reader3 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 21:45:31 CEST 2012

I installed gpg4win on my Windows XP machine, only to encounter some
problems which raise red flags.

1. Upon invoking Kleopatra, the following tasks and subtasks were initiated:

dbus-daemon.exe
gpgsm.exe
    -->gpg-agent.exe
gpgsm.exe

and kleopatra itself:

kelopatra.exe
   --> kleopatra.exe

There was a determined attempt to connect to the internet by the
dbus-daemon.exe and gpgsm.exe tasks, so much so that they froze the
machine, when I did NOT permit any internet communications to occur.

2. Where are they talking to?  Why?

When I logged into the forum for a general discussion on the questions
above, Firefox browser immediately complains that the website is an
untrusted website, and gives information that the security certificate
is untrusted and that it cannot guarantee the authenticity of the
website.  It makes an effort to block access to the site.

3. Why is this happening, especially when we are all concerned about
secure information? Especially CA certificates?

I tried to kill the tasks, which were hung, but the kill attempt itself
was frozen and those tasks were suspended.

I had to manually reboot the system, to recover.

I hope you understand that I am trying to be careful here and not allow
my machine to talk promiscuously to the whole internet universe, but
what else can I think, when Kleopatra wants to talk,  insists on
talking, forces the talking and then puts the machine in a paralyzed
state when I rebuff the efforts for it to talk???

I hope you understand now, why red flags have been raised in my mind.

Can anyone answer the questions above?

Thanks.

puzzled gpg4win first time installer