[Skencil-users] Join forces for skencil1/sK1? (was: sK1)

Simon Budig simon at budig.de
Tue Dec 5 02:10:01 CET 2006

Igor Novikov (igor.e.novikov at gmail.com) wrote:
> > Fontconfig is definitely the way to go here. It makes it nice and easy
> > to install a font - just drop into a directory...
>
> KDE font installer more simple - just right mouse click on font file in
> Konqueror :)

Uhm, and this does exactly what? My guess is, that it just copies the
font in a directory which is used by fontconfig.

Of course you can have nice font management programs on top of it, and
it would be very helpful indeed. However, the installation of a new font
boils down to copying it into a location like e.g. ~/.fonts, which is
the most trivial thing from a programmers point of view (which is what
we're discussing here, right?).

> > While I am not sure about the gnome libraries, I believe that GTK+ is an
> > excellent choice for a toolkit. I am biased of course, but as a Gimp
> > developer I cannot say that we are "bound" to the GTK+ life cycle. It
> > usually depends on you, if you really want to use the most recent
> > features or if you can resist  :)
>
> On my opinion Tkinter is more flexible and more stable than pyGtk,
> because it just translates Tcl string commands to wish interpreter.
> More over Tk-based applications are faster than pyGtk-based, at least
> on Gtk 2.x. Therefore "GimpToolKit" is an excellent choise for Gimp,
> but this rule is not useful for all applications :).

Well, GTK+ works for a *lot* of applications besides the gimp, so I
think, its flexibility and stability is proven. I don't have a lot of
experience with pygtk and tkinter, so I can't really comment on the
comparison between these two.

My impression of tkinter basically is limited from my use of skencil.
And up to now I had the impression that tkinter basically looks aged,
has weird looking file selectors and warning dialogs, and that keyboard
shortcuts don't work. From looking at SK-1 screenshots quite some of
these points seem to have been solved (and I'd love to learn what is
necessary to get antialiased text in the GUI of skencil) and I look
forward to the future of sketch/sk-1. If that means "go with tkinter",
then fine with me.

Bye,
         Simon

--