[Skencil-users] Fwd: Join forces for skencil1/sK1? (was: sK1)

Igor Novikov igor.e.novikov at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 15:43:11 CET 2006

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Igor Novikov <igor.e.novikov at gmail.com>
Date: Nov 21, 2006 7:40 PM
Subject: Re: [Skencil-users] Join forces for skencil1/sK1? (was: sK1)
To: Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de>

Hi Bernhard,

I read about XaraXtreme, but I haven't tried it yet.
> BTW: Did you also evaluate http://www.cenon.info/frame_gb.html?

Unfortunately, I cann't  compile  or  run  binaries of this project  under
Mandriva 2007,
because GNUstep library is absent. But so far as I see this project is dead.
May be Cenon
can be used as specialized sofware for plotters or engraving machines, but
it seems
the application is not useful as DTP.

The most interested part in the sources is import/export filters. But code
is written with
Objective C, so may be simpler to rewrite it than trying to use "as is".

XaraXtreme filters, for example, cannot be used, because this code
extremally old and
requeres comlete reimplementation.

This sounds very good. One advantage of Skencil GTK is the possible
> Windows port. Do you plan to port towards windows?
> In regular Skencil there is quite a bit of Xlib code if I remember
> correctly.

Yes,  current  Sketch modules  (paxmodule.so  and  _sketchmodule.so) use
Xlib function calls.
To implement antialiasing and alphachannel we use Cairo library, because
XRender can draws
rectangles, triangles and trapezoids only. This library can use XRender
(XWin),
glitz (OpenGL  rendering under  XWin),  Quartz  (MacOS) and GDI+ (Win32) as
backends.
Therefore we can port  such  canvas  under  all these platforms without GTK
or X11 emulation.
Ctypes library from Python 2.5 also can help connecting to platform depended
API. But this task
should be deffered on future.

Sincerely,

Igor Novikov