[Skencil-users] Fwd: Join forces for skencil1/sK1?

Tobias Hilbricht hilbricht at linopus.de
Fri Jun 22 11:25:11 CEST 2007

Am Donnerstag, den 21.06.2007, 21:44 +0200 schrieb Bernhard Reiter:

> > 2. This code name is already announced as in Russian community and in west
> > open source world.
> > 3. This name is derived from Sketch
>
> Skencil is quite introduced as well, though I agree that sK1 is a stylish
> name that is derived from it and its file format.
>
> > 4. New name simplifies attracting new users. Unfortunately users choice
> > first of all a modern UI and we often hear: "Skencil? Oh, it's an ugly
> > Motif-style application. My choice is Inkscape/Xara/Karbon" So, even
> > Skencil v1.0  will not  attract quickly large user pool. The same
> > "reanimation" problem is highly important for tcl/tk widgetset.
>
> Maybe, Skencil's reputation is not that bad I believe, but that depends
> on whom you ask. It is true that Skencil's strength usually are a bit hidden.

Although I clearly see and welcome the initiative Igor took - the
improvements he is working on are the really necessary ones -, I prefer
with regard to the names Skencil over sK1 for the following reasons:

* Skencil is a more attractive and imaginative name compared to sK1,
which sounds very technical. With a name like sK1 I think of a TV
channel (like Sat1 or Pro7 here) or of cars which are targetted at male
customers (like BMW X5), or with the abbreviations biologists use for
gene names.

* Skencil _has_ a user community, while sK1 has none yet. There are
printed and online documents for Skencil, while sK1 is known to a small
circle of developers only. "Motif-style application" - this is last
important argument against Skencil. There are many commercial
applications in the DTP field which have a very sober functional GUI and
which are used for the sake of their function and not their stylish
themes.

* Domain and trade names - just google for sk1, and there are other
domains using sk1 in their names. Is it known if sK1 is used as a trade
name somewhere? If this can not be excluded for sure, this could pose a
problem any time in future.

Yours sincerely

Tobias Hilbricht