[Skencil-users] Fwd: Join forces for skencil1/sK1?

Igor Novikov igor.e.novikov at gmail.com
Tue May 22 10:40:24 CEST 2007

Hi Bernhard,

Let us know, when they are fixe. :)

Now scripts are fixed. Also sK1 code is updated for tk8.5a6 compartibility.
One year ago I have reported that Skencil is not compartible with latest
tcl/tk releases:
http://lists.wald.intevation.org/pipermail/skencil-users/2006-May/000039.html

Good to know!
> http://sk1.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/sk1

 Cdr importer (cdrloader.py) you can find on following link:

http://sk1.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/sk1/trunk/sK1/src/app/plugins/Filters/

After small namespaces modification this filter can be used in Skencil.

I had already put on some of the questions.
> What name to use, and what strategy to pursue regarding
> the now available three esisting ends skencil 0.6, sk1, skencil 0.7.
> Then we need to find the best infrastructure for it.

My suggestion is using "sK1" name for latest branch, because:
1. This code is highly differ from 0.6/0.7 versions
2. This code name is already announced as in Russian community and in west
open source world.
3. This name is derived from Sketch
4. New name simplifies attracting new users. Unfortunately users choice
first of all a modern UI and we often hear: "Skencil? Oh, it's an ugly
Motif-style application. My choice is Inkscape/Xara/Karbon" So, even Skencil
v1.0  will not  attract quickly large user pool. The same "reanimation"
problem is highly important for tcl/tk widgetset.

Regarding strategy I think that all three branches should be alive. As far
as I understand Skencil v0.6 engine is used in production, therefore this
branch should be supported. I'm not familiar with pyGtk therefore I cannot
evaluate Gtk-based v0.7 usability as a base for derived products, but it
seems it can be used as whole product and a part of pyGtk-based
applications.

I cannot say that sK1 code can serve as reusable package, because sK1
primary goal is a mature vector graphics editor. Also sK1 code is still
unperfect and requires further development. But even in current state sK1
can be presented as unique open source application for prepress. Only
Scribus has similar features, but this application is not illustration
program. So, my personal view of sK1 future is a competitor of CorelDRAW but
on Linux platform. And future users pool should grow from former CorelDRAW
users.

Inkscape Team also declared that it's application is something like
CorelDRAW or Illustrator, but on my opinion Inkscape is more similar to
specialized editor like Macromedia Flash (at least on current development
stage).

Sincerely,

Igor Novikov
sK1 Team