[Winpt-users] Announcement for the second pre-release of 1.0.0

Timo Schulz twoaday at gmx.net
Thu Jun 22 08:20:54 CEST 2006

On Wed Jun 21 2006; 10:23, Thomas Harold wrote:

> - The key edit dialog, OTOH, doesn't save the column widths and doesn't
> do a good job on my system of guessing the widths.  For example, the
> C/S/E/A columns show up as "*..".

Actually the dialog uses fixed column widths and does not do any
guessing. I agree that it would be useful to save the list view.

> - I wish the key edit dialog could be resized.  Once I collect a few
> UserIDs and new encryption keys (we create new encryption keys every 2-4

This should be no problem.

> - Is there a way to put tooltips on the Key Edit dialog columns to
> remind me what the various columns mean?  Specifically the C/S/E/A
> columns (since the help button only displays a short-hand list of what

Actually most of the column names should be indicate its use. If
this is not the case, we should propably better think of different
names. The C/S/E/A columns are special, and there it might be useful
to have a tool tip. I could also increase the column width to:
Certify/Sign/Encrypt/Authenticate, but because the information is
just yes/no ("*" or "") the dialog would get very large without
any advantage.

> Alternately, maybe a text area in the lower-left portion of the dialog
> with context sensitive help.  As you mouse-over the various controls

I work on a sentensive help, but this issue consumes a lot of work.

> - On the key edit dialog, the OK button is confusing where it is
> currently placed.  It should probably be moved up next to the Command

This is definitely an important issue. I will think about it, how to
make it clearer.

> - Is there a way to list PhotoIDs in the Key Edit dialog?  (Does that
> even make sense?)  On one of my keys, I managed to get (2) PhotoIDs
> attached and I think I have to go into the command-line GPG in order to

I don't think this is the right place to integrate the photo-ids. But I
could offer a "showphoto" in the command list to display it. This way
the photo could be displayed on demand.

> before finding out that you entered the wrong old password?  (Instead of
> entering the old password, finding out you got it wrong before being
> asked to type the new password twice.)

Well, this could be useful. I will also add this point to the TODO list.

> - The only way to get the WinPT preferences is via the system tray menu,
> there's no menu command inside of the Key Manager window.  And

IMHO, it makes sense to separate the items. The WinPT preferences are
global and not only related to the Key Manager. But the GPG prefs are
directly related to the Key Manager because if you change the home dir,
the Key Manager automatically reloads the Key Manager.

> vice-versa, I can only get to the GPG configuration file via the Key
> Manager window and not the Preferences menu on the System Tray icon.

It would be easy to change this, but IMHO it is no big deal to use the
tray to open the preferences of the requested item and the gpg config
file is rarely changing and thus it should be also no problem.

     Timo