[Gpg4win-devel] Can I start testing?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Nov 2 15:58:43 CET 2005

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 15:20:36 +0100, Marcus Brinkmann said:

> And this is

> $ autoreconf -f -i -s

And this is what caused a lot of problems in the past and will in the
future because all developers work on different code. With every minor
gettext autoconf update the code base changes which often causes
strange bugs.  In particular on non GNU platforms.

For proper maintenance and to have consistent releases with tested
autoconf macros etc it is paramount to have as many files as possible
in the CVS.  As stated in README.SVN, only one person shall run
automake -a -c and document this in the ChangeLog.

So please forget about autoreconf.

We really really had a lot of problems with GnuPG before we adopted
this strategy.  We do have the problems still after updating the
automake -a files but at least we can track these bugs then.  And we
can be sure that the a release build from a tagged branch is very
simialr to the actual release.  This is alone is important enough not
to do autoreconf.

Note, that these days a lot of GNU software and in particular the
autotools are not anymore tested on a wide range of platforms -
however GnuPG is and always exhibits problems on some platforms.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner