[Gpg4win-devel] More formalized NEWS/History?

Marcus Brinkmann marcus.brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Apr 4 12:22:28 CEST 2006

At Tue, 4 Apr 2006 01:42:33 +0200,
Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> it is desireable to have history/Changelog information also on
> the website.
> To not get into a maintenance nightmare I thought it might be a
> good idea to formalize the history information a bit and thus allow
> automatic creation of documents.

The ChangeLogs and NEWS files are already our formalized history
information.

> I quickly hacked up a solution which is attached.

I think a build dependency on python for this is quite heavy.  Is it
really important to have HTML format for this?

If you really want HTML output, it should be generated from the NEWS
and/or ChangeLog files.  Their format is well defined, so it's quite
straightforward to do.  Also, the program doing this should probably
be a shell, awk or perl script (as we already have maintainer build
dependencies on those [autoconf uses perl]).

I don't think any free software project really has the resources to
internationalize and localize this information on a consistent basis,
but if it is really required or desired, I guess an appropriate
solution would be a NEWS.de file.

Thanks,
Marcus