[Gpg4win-devel] Avoid confusion of new users

Timo Schulz twoaday at gmx.net
Mon Oct 9 20:27:19 CEST 2006

Hi,

I'm not sure if this problem can be simply solved by telling
people "please read the hints more carefully" or if we could
change the docs to make the situation clearer.

In the last time, I got lots of bugs/feature requests/help requests
and people are not really aware what each component of the installer
does or especially what they don't do. At least some of the users.

Example: a) People confuse the current window support of WinPT with
            gpgol. They assume this is the Outlook plugin.
	 b) It seems on some machines (Outlook 2002) there is no
	    warning the plugin does not work and people ask why
	    the buttons "do nothing" even so the plugin, they
	    refer to the WinPT (!) task bar program, is active.

And another (minor) problem seems to be that people don't fully
understand what packages they need or better if there are dependencies.
I know that such dependencies are automatically handled internally
in the installer. Maybe the real problem is that people don't know
how to report bugs and we should add a stronger hint to the new website.

(I know the installer wizard pages contain information about each
component and a quick description...)

Maybe we could add a short paragraph in the Einsteiger PDF how
components interact and if there dependencies.

	   Timo