[Gpg4win-devel] Avoid confusion of new users

Marcus Brinkmann marcus.brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Oct 10 11:57:44 CEST 2006

At Mon, 9 Oct 2006 20:27:19 +0200,
Timo Schulz wrote:
> I'm not sure if this problem can be simply solved by telling
> people "please read the hints more carefully" or if we could
> change the docs to make the situation clearer.

Well, I agree that the explanations and hints about each module are
too subtle.  When people see such a checkbox list, they expect
components of a single program, not totally different programs.

One way to fix this would be to give each component its own installer
page, which prominently displays the logo of the program, its purpose,
and a checkbox to enable it.

> Maybe we could add a short paragraph in the Einsteiger PDF how
> components interact and if there dependencies.

That's fine, but we can't expect people to read it before installing
the package.

Maybe just add a task item to the project on wald.  It's high time
that volunteers start to pick up some of the work.  A task item at
least allows users to comment on how they would like it to be.

You can also encourage the people who were confused to tell us on the
mailing list how they would have been unconfused.  That's important
feedback for us, and engages them and gets them to actively think
about software design, the first step to becoming volunteers
themselves.

Thanks,
Marcus