[Gpg4win-devel] gpg and thunderbird portable

Georg Link georg.link at yahoo.de
Fri Aug 14 02:33:35 CEST 2009

Hi to all members,

maybe somebody will find this interesting.
Problem:
Local installed email-client leads to nice and easy encryption. What if
I want to encrypt my email not only at home but also at work?

I am using Gpg4Win, Thunderbird and the  enigmail addon.

My goal was to make this combination portable on USB-stick.
Here is my solution:
1.)get thunderbird-portable. Maybe here http://portableapps.com or here
http://stadt-bremerhaven.de/downloadbereich/ (nice german blog etc...)

2.) download the enigmail addon for thunderbird
3.) start thunderbird an install the addon
After that is done, there should be the following structure on your
USB-drive:

ThunderbirdPortable\
    App\
           gpg\
             gpg_readme.txt
    Data\
    Other\

4.) Download gpg1.4.9 binaries from http://www.gnupg.org/download/ and
install it

5.) copy *.exe and the iconv.dll to ThunderbirdPortable\App\gpg\
gpg.exe
gpgkeys_curl.exe
gpgkeys_finger.exe
gpgkeys_hkp.exe
gpgkeys_ldap.exe
gpgsplit.exe
gpgv.exe
iconv.dll

6.) Generate, manage your key via thunderbird ...

That was it.

Was it? Yes, since there is a new release of gpg4win (2.0.0) 2009-08-07.

Next step is to try and understand what parts of the new release are
necessary on the USB-drive