[Gpg4win-devel] signature in body: no-mime and new "double no-mime"

Dr. Peter Voigt pvoigt at uos.de
Tue Aug 27 15:34:02 CEST 2013

Am Tue, 27 Aug 2013 10:35:58 +0200
schrieb Andre Heinecke <aheinecke at intevation.de>:

> Hi,
>
> On Monday 26 August 2013 19:31:16 Dr. Peter Voigt wrote:
> > Thanks, Andre, for explaining "opaque signed". The provided link,
> > however, is a bit confusing. According to Bernhards explanations I
> > have expected a message with the actual message content (= payload
> > or body text) being just repeated. The hardcopy of your link looks
> > different.
>
> Yes sorry for that I've created the screenshots page with the
> intention to see how a mail client handles different situations and I
> found the case where the plain text does not match the signed text
> more interesting ;)
>
> I've attached another example:
> http://wiki.gnupg.org/MailClients/Screenshots?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=doublenomime.mbox
>
> That was created by outlook and shows how it "should" look like.

Thanks, Andre. The raw mbox file looks like what I've expected. I've
downloaded the raw mbox file and imported it from Claws onto my IMAP
server. Now I can study it with different mail clients:

- Claws Mail sometimes needs some time to find out that it cannot
  decrypt the message and always says: "Entschlüsseln schlug fehl:
  Keine Daten". Then the PGP MESSAGE block is displayed besides the
  message body. No hint to a key ID.

- Thunderbird immediately displays the message body and the PGP
  MESSAGE block and says: "Teil der Nachricht unterschrieben; klicken
  Sie auf 'Details' für weitere Informationen". This yields the
  possibility to import a missing key 0x0E51F6D3. This whatever key
  cannot be obtained from any keyserver. Is it a testing key only?

- Gnus immediately shows the message body and the PGP MESSAGE part with
  the hint that it cannot be decrypted. No hint to a key ID.

My test results show that the "double no-mime" format can be displayed
in all tested mail clients. Just the Windows version of Claws Mail
sometimes needs up to 30 seconds until it displays the message. This is
not regularly reproducible and till now it did not occur under Linux at
all.

I hope these tests are making sense at all. I suppose that you probably
did already most of the tests before otherwise you would not have
proposed the new "double no-mime" format :-)

Regards,
Peter

PS.: Created a new key for forum usage only that I'm going to use from
now on.