[Gpg4win-devel] Gpg4win 2.2.0: Portable vanilla ignores homedir environment variable

Dr. Peter Voigt pvoigt at uos.de
Wed Aug 28 11:22:35 CEST 2013

Am Wed, 28 Aug 2013 10:21:40 +0200
schrieb Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org>:

> Right.  That is the point of the portable version.  If we would not do
> this, a globally set GNUPGHOME would be used and thus the portable
> version would use the configuration from a regular installation.

Yeah, I did not take this into account.

> If you still want to use a gnupg home directory of you own choice, you
> either need to use "gpg --homedir FOO ...." or way better, add
Yes, the --homedir command line parameters works as expected but is
uncomfortable to use because I'm mainly working on the command line.

> no-default-keyring
> keyring L:/home/pvoigt/.gnupg/pubring.gpg
> secret-keyring L:/home/pvoigt/.gnupg/secring.gpg
>
> to L:/Programme/GNU/GnuPG/home/gpg.conf
This seems to be a workaround for me. Does this mean that I have to
also move all configuration options from L:/home/pvoigt/.gnupg/gpg.conf
to L:/Programme/GNU/GnuPG/home/gpg.conf as well? And where does the
portable installation expect gpg-agent.conf and gpgsm.conf?

> Depending on yout Windows version and the file system of the USB stick
> you could also symlink L:/Programme/GNU/GnuPG/home
It's an NTFS formated TrueCrypt container and should therfore work. To
be honest I do not feel comfortable with symlinks under Windows.

> If that turns out to be a problem, I am prepared to add another way to
> set a home directory.  The file gpgconf.ctl can be turned into a
> configuration file to set it.
This would be nice and the preferred solution. I even experimented with
renaming this file which resulted in the expected behavior, however
with probably unpredictable side effects. I case you are going to change
this will it be possible to have gpg.conf, gpg-agent.conf and
gpgsm.conf besides my keyrings in homedir as well?

Regards,
Peter