[Gpg4win-devel] Putty and ECDSA support for gpg-agent in 2.0

Dr. Peter Voigt pvoigt at uos.de
Fri Jul 5 11:24:19 CEST 2013

Am Fri, 5 Jul 2013 10:41:49 +0200
schrieb Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de>:

> On Friday 05 July 2013 at 09:53:12, Werner Koch wrote:
> > On Fri,  5 Jul 2013 09:28, bernhard at intevation.de said:
> > > What is the rational for the default setting of the putty support,
> > > which seems to be "off"?
> >
> > - The same is done under Unix for ssh
>
> Same question. :)
>
> > - After the installation of a new Gpg4win version an also installed
> >   Pageant won't work anymore if gpg-agent has been started earlier.
>
> Okay, I see the argument and consider options.
>
> Let me state the problem again:
> Our product should be very usable and its features should be
> exploreable. Defaults should be as useful as possible.
> So activating possible extra features by default usually is a good
> idea.
>
> We don't do this for putty support because pageant would
> stop working for some users. How many people use pageant or have it
> installed?
>
> Bernhard

Just have jumped into this topic, sorry if I am missing something
already mentioned.

Topic is interesting because I'm using PuTTY extensively. Most of the
time I'm just carefully typing my passphrases. Only sometime I'm using
Pageant.

I think there should be at least a warning during Gpg4win installation
that Pageant is not working anymore.

When now thing about a useful default I'd like the
--enable-putty-support being added automatically.

One possibly stupid question: How to tell PuTTY to read passphrases
from gpg-agent instead of Pageant? I'm using PuTTY 0.62.

Regards,
Peter