[Gpg4win-devel] How to add translations to Kleopatra ?

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at intevation.de
Tue Oct 6 12:02:17 CEST 2015

Hi,

On Tuesday 06 October 2015 09:16:42 SERVE, OLIVIER wrote:
> On my own linux system I have the same Kleopatra version installed, so I
> just added to the kleopatra package my local .mo files (same list of files
> as the german translation, I bet they are not all needed) and extracted the
> .html help pages from my index.cache.bz2 file.
>
> However, this is manual process that isn't obvious to script.
>
> The original kleopatra package comes from a 3rd-party source, so it is not
> possible to modify it directly.

The Kleopatra package is currently built using KDE's windows buildsystem
emerge. Some notes about this are on https://wiki.gnupg.org/Gpg4win/build

We are not happy about this and are planning to change this and cross compile
Kleopatra under Linux too once we update Kleopatra to be based on KDE
Frameworks 5 (Which are way more modular and so better to integrate into our
build)

> What would be the preferred way to automatically integrate translations ?

Adding additional translations currently would be easy. It would mean to add a
dependency in the kleopatra-package recipe to kde-l10n-fr in emerge, building
it, adding the according files to the packages whitelist and updating the NSIS
install / uninstall files accordingly.

But historically we've only included the German translation for Kleopatra. As
Kleopatra uses strings from other KDE Libraries (the reason for the multitude
of .mo files) any additional language means a lot of (mostly unneccessary)
data.

With over over 50 languages available in KDE we've decided not to include them
all to avoid increasing the size of the installer for everyone. Another idea
was to add optional language packs which could be downloaded as part of the
installation.

But the long term solution will be to reduce the size of the translations by
shipping only the neccessary files and then include them all.

Maybe some compromise like including the same languages that we have GpgEX
translations for could be a short term solution.

Regards,
Andre

--
Andre Heinecke |  ++49-541-335083-262  | http://www.intevation.de/