[Gpg4win-devel] Removing GpgOL's gpgme engine to avoid the gpgme dependency

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at intevation.de
Mon Oct 12 14:59:54 CEST 2015

Hi,

I was taking a look at gpgol for 64 bit systems. One of the dependencies for
this would be to have gpgme available in 64 bit because GpgOL links against
gpgme we have the other dependencies (assuan / gpgme error) already available
because of GpgEX 64 bit.

But why does GpgOL need to use gpgme directly?
As far as I can tell gpgme is only used in case Kleopatra or GPA can't be
started. (engine.c (engine_init))

In that case a message box shows:
	"The user interface server is not available or does "
        "not work.  Using an internal user interface.\n\n"
        "This is limited to the PGP/MIME protocol and "
        "thus S/MIME protected message are not readable."

I have never seen this interface (wasn't aware it exists) and it's not
implemented for Outlook > 2007.

For me this looks like historic code (From a time before assuan) and now it
adds complexity to the engine code (and the whole engine-gpgme code).
I'm also not really willing to maintain two ways how to do crypto in gpgol. So
I think we should just remove the engine-gpgme code and avoid the dependency
to gpgme. Bringing us one step closer to gpgOl for 64bit outlook.

Objections?

Regards,
Andre

--