[Gpg4win-devel] Removing GpgOL's gpgme engine to avoid the gpgme dependency

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Oct 12 16:36:02 CEST 2015

On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 14:59, aheinecke at intevation.de said:

> But why does GpgOL need to use gpgme directly?
> As far as I can tell gpgme is only used in case Kleopatra or GPA can't be
> started. (engine.c (engine_init))

Actually this is a relic form the early days when we had no UI-Server.
Instead we implemented everything ourselves.  I would be surprised if it
still does work.

We require because of the data objects and the assuan integration.  Have
a look at engine-assuan.c and the use of the gpgme data object
callbacks.  Given that libassuan has the more challenging 64 bit code, I
think it will be easy to port gpgme to 64 bit.

> I think we should just remove the engine-gpgme code and avoid the dependency
> to gpgme. Bringing us one step closer to gpgOl for 64bit outlook.

I am fine with the first but the latter requires that you rewrite a lot
of code.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner