[Gpg4win-devel] Multilanguage Compendium

Jochen Saalfeld jochen at intevation.de
Wed Jun 1 10:51:41 CEST 2016

Hi all,

> 3) Another Idea was to use orgMode. We would still have seperate files for
> each language, like now with tex. But the format would be another one.

I took a look at Orgmode and some difficulties occurred: Orgmode only seems to
work with emacs. I don't want to kick off the old "emacs vs. vi" war [1], but
this is a real issue. Most people in contact with gpg4win use Windows and the
tools Windows provides and neither emacs, nor vi(m) are part of these tools.
We want the translators to focus on the text only, therefore: the easier the
markup-language, the better for the workflow.

Another solution we found, was reStructuredText [2]. It is fairly
minimalistic, can be translated with po files and there are multiple
solutions to make Latex code or HTML sites from it (i.E with pandoc [3]
offline or even online with multi-language support with Sphinx [4]). That
way, the translator doesn't have to care about the layout or an editor and
can focus on the text and the translation itself.

Kind regards,
Jochen

[1] https://xkcd.com/378/
[2] http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/ref/rst/restructuredtext.html
[3] http://pandoc.org/
[4] http://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/stable/

--
jochen at intevation.de | intevation.de/ | 0541335083214 | PGPkey: 0x64B67DF4
Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrueck - AG Osnabrueck, HR B 18998