[Gpg4win-devel] maintenance (short downtimes) on www/files gpg4win, https redirect

Thomas Arendsen Hein thomas at intevation.de
Thu Jul 29 15:59:02 CEST 2021

* Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org> [20210727 20:05]:
> On Tue, 27 Jul 2021 10:46, Thomas Arendsen Hein said:
> > Additionally I already configured files.gpg4win.* to always redirect
> > from http to https, same as www.gpg4win.* is doing since 2015.
>
> Bad idea for files.  The integrity is secured by our signatures and
> there are systems where it is hard to use https but easy to use checsums
> or gpg.  Think automated systems.

While I assume that automated systems should be able to use https by
now (and still do additional checks), I've reverted this change,
because:

> Almost all users anyway click on the links and as long as this is https
> this is all secure.

This is probably true and for the few situations where it isn't,
there are is still the code signing certificate.
(and the gpg signature, but I doubt many users would check that)

> Those who want http (or ftp) for files should be
> abale to continue their use.

We never offered ftp for gpg4win downloads and I disabled our last
ftp server about three years ago.

Regards,

Thomas

--