[Gpg4win-devel] Idea for making logging easier

Christoph Klassen christoph.klassen at intevation.de
Fri Jul 1 10:54:38 CEST 2022

Hello Andre,

thank you for your explanation!

On 7/1/22 09:01, Andre Heinecke wrote:
> Currently you can under Kleopatra under Settings -> Configure Kleopatra ->
> GnuPG System enable logging for each component.
This option is not for every component is it? I mean it does not include
for example the dirmngr. At least this is what I understand from chapter
22.4 from the compendium.

> Usually support tells the users which log file they should enable and in my
> experience this works nicely even with non technical users. I usually suggest
> users to set the log level to all. And disable it again after they have done
> the action we wish to debug.
Maybe it is no problem because these people *have* to use Gpg4win and
that's why they take their time to follow the instructions. Plus, you
give them professional support. I thought of users who use Gpg4win
privately and who don't want to spend much time to help developers to
debug a problem. It's more about helping them to help themselves.

> A timed disable is difficult because you would need a monitoring process that
> runs for the specified time and disables logging afterwards. I don't think that
> this is really neccessary.
>
> But I could imagine a tab in the configure kleopatra widget which is dedicated
> to debugging. Like we have in the Outlook config widget. This could go above
> and beyond the current logging in that it could install a Qt logging handler
> (see gpg4win-tools as an example) to log Kleopatras debug output and
> additionally enable GPGME_DEBUG environment variable and a synchronized
> logging for the components using the log socket mechanism. So you would
> configure the GnuPG components to use a log socket to send their output back to
> a listener in Kleopatra which would write it into the specified log file. This
> way you can directly track interactions eg. between dirmngr and gpgsm.
>
> The idea would be just a selection for a log file with a default path set. And
> then to add checkboxes for the components that should be logged.
That sounds good. A default path means one step less in the instructions
to debug something and if they just can use checkboxes they don't have
to look for different conf files.

Greetings,
Christoph

--
Christoph Klassen  |  https://www.intevation.de/
Geschäftsführer: Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter