[Gpg4win-devel] Idea for making logging easier

Christoph Klassen christoph.klassen at intevation.de
Thu Jun 30 07:54:46 CEST 2022

Hello everyone,

log files can be very important for developers to find errors. But when
I think of average people using Gpg4win I think it is too complicated
for them to enable logging. That's why I reflected about this topic.

My idea is a log manager which could be opened from Kleopatra. It could
look like in attachment [1] (log_manager.png). There you could enable
the logging for a component of Gpg4win. Maybe there could be other
buttons to, for example, go to the directory where the log files are
saved (which would be only one folder for all log files for the sake of
simplicity).

When users press a button to enable the logging a new window appears
where they can set how long the component should log events. Also, they
can set options that are specific to this component like debug flags for
the dirmngr.

The advantage of this would be that:
*there is only one place where users can handle log "things"
*users won't be scared because of a terminal because they don't need it
(the manager could restart components like dirmngr automatically)
*I guess that users would not disable logging after they solved a
problem. This is a security risk (because of sensitive information) and
consumes space on the hard drive. When they set how long the logging
should take place this won't be happening.
*when the GUI shows options users don't have to use the documentation to
find out which options are available (maybe only to see what each
options does but tooltips could even handle that)

One question that I had was: What about the advanced users who want to
change anything individually like the directory where to save the log
files? --> I think that should not be a problem. If users use the log
manager this manager will overwrite settings so that all log files will
be saved in one directory (which is also the one that will be opened
when users click on "Open log directory"). When advanced users change
the log directory in a config that directory will be used. Since
advanced users probably won't use the log manager this settings wouldn't
be overwritten.

What do you think of this idea?

With regards,
Christoph

--
Christoph Klassen  |  https://www.intevation.de/
Geschäftsführer: Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter