[Gpg4win-devel] Gpg4win 4 upgrade and compatibility

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri May 27 09:57:38 CEST 2022

Hi,

noticedthings that can obstruct the user experience when
upgrading to Gpg4win 4.x.

a) in some situations a previously enabled vs-nfd mode leads to
   a failed self-test and then the situation that new key-pairs cannot
   be created with an unhelpful message like (forbidden).
   Maybe we can add a hint for this situation, how
   to disable this without doing a full profile "default" and reset
   of all settings.

b) The new default key algorithm ECC Curve 25519 causes backwards
   compatibility issues. I suggest we let people know by
   b1) Add a hint to https://www.gpg4win.org/version4.html
   b2) in the application when the key creation parameters
    are asked for.

c) A key-pair creation was stopped the first time (because of a))
   then I've changed the profile to "default" and started a new key-pair
   creation. This succeeded without asking me for a passphrase,
   possible it just took the one I've entered in the first attempt.
   (Needs retesting and then an issue.)

Best,

https://intevation.de/~bernhard   +49 541 33 508 3-3
Geschäftsführer Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter