[Gpg4win-users-en] New user, some comments and quesitons/issues

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Dec 11 15:26:40 CET 2006

Jeffrey,

On Thursday 07 December 2006 19:50, Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
> I just installed gpg4win last night.  I have used PGP off and on in the
> past, and I have a pre-existing set of keys from PGP.  My system is
> WinXP Pro SP2.  In case it matters, IE7 is installed, but Firefox is my
> primary web browser.

thanks a lot for your interest and feedback!
Please note that gpg4win is an initiative to package
a number of applications for windows. For most of the feedback
it is quite interesting to know which application you are refering to.
Also most problems are related to those applications and
the best was to report them is to directly report
them to the applications.

Some hints about reporting problems or wishes are at:
http://www.gpg4win.de/reporting-bugs.html

> 1: gpg4win should be able to import PGP generated keys at install or
> first use.  I tried, it wouldn't let me.  I had to generate a new key
> just to be able to use the key manager.  Only after doing that was I
> able to import and use my PGP keyring.  I was then able to delete the
> newly generated key.

I agree that it should be easier to import other keys.
Where you using GPA?

> 2: When running gpg4win, it complained that it was unable to set the
> keyboard shortcut because it was already in use.  It did not tell me
> what shortcut it was talking about.  I was eventually able to figure
> out what app was causing the conflict and resolve the problem, but it
> would have helped if gpg4win told me which shortcut keys were at issue.
> Please note the plurality - gpg4win was only complaining about a single
> shortcut key conflict when there were in fact several.

This sounds like a problem to me. Can you say which application
gave you the warning? WinPT?
My wild guess is that it is hard to know all keyboard bindings
in advance as they will change with each language.
I cannot say if the application does get the information from the operating
system where the conflict lies.

> 3: gpg4win is conflicting with Clever Keyboard Indicator - when gpg4win
> is running, none of the alert sounds nor OSD will happen from CKI
> whenever I do something that it's installed to alert me about (toggle
> keys, etc).  It's also interfering with the OSD from my keyboard
> driver, MS IntelliType Pro.

Again, is this WinPT?
I cannot say if this is the fault of WinPT or the Clever product.
You should file a report for this, if you have time.

> 4: I have multiple keys generated at different times.  If I want to
> keep all of my old keys, how can I set gpg4win to default to selecting
> a specific key for encryption and signing?  I've used the context menu
> command "set as default key" but nothing has changed in use.  The key
> in question was generated by PGP, not GPG.

WinPT?

> Tangentially related to that last, if I don't remember the passphrases
> for the old keys, how can I revoke them?

Revocation requires a revocation certificate.
If do have not created a revocation statement earlier,
you cannot revoke a key.

> 5: When entering my passphrase, if I have the "hide typing" set, it
> always complains that the passphrase is wrong.  If I uncheck it, there
> is no problem.  I am not making any typos in either case, if I were
> then I'd be making the same ones regardless of hiding/showing the text
> as I enter it.  It's 19 characters long, multiple words with
> punctuation.

If this is WinPT, filling a report how to reproduce this problem
will help Timo to resolve this.

> 6: With GPGee, I was expecting to see options to check the md5/sha1/crc
> checksums and wiping for the selected file but there are no such
> options.  Is there a possibility for these to be added?

This is Free Software, if someone does the work, it will be added. :)
Best is to file a wish with GPGee so that more people can voice
their preference for this.

Managing Director - Owner, www.intevation.net       (Free Software Company)
Germany Coordinator, fsfeurope.org       (Non-Profit Org for Free Software)
www.kolab-konsortium.com   (Email/Groupware Solution, Professional Service)