[Gpg4win-users-en] New user, some comments and quesitons/issues

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Dec 11 15:37:57 CET 2006

On Thu,  7 Dec 2006 19:50, gordol at gordol.org said:

> 1: gpg4win should be able to import PGP generated keys at install or
> first use.  I tried, it wouldn't let me.  I had to generate a new key

Old versions of PGP used the IDEA algorithms to protect keys. You need
to export the secret keys them and make sure that they are exported
using another algorithm than IDEA.  IDEA is an optional algorithm in
OpenPGP and deprecated because it is patented and we are not allowed
to use it.

If nothing else works, set the passphrase to empty, import it into
gpg4win and then set the passphrase again using gpg4win and pgp.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner