[Gpg4win-users-en] Advantages

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Jul 19 17:07:10 CEST 2006

Hi Daniel,

Am Samstag, 8. Juli 2006 18:44 schrieb Daniel Magnusson:
> I think GPG is great have been using the freeware PGP for years, mainly for
> encrypting sensitive files locally.
>
> What are the main difference between GPG & PGP I see most features in both
> Except whole disk encryption.
>
> Any other?

GnuPG and all the other software packaged by Gpg4win is Free Software
in the sense of the FSFE (www.fsfeurope.org).
Security exports believe that Free Software has the potential to be more
secure because of its attributes.

> Does GPG have features not in the PGP version?

I think there will be a few but I do not know PGP, the last version I used
was 2.x on Solaris. So I do not know.
The GnuPG Mailinglist and documentation should have more hints about this.

> I only miss shredding included in the geepgp utility, cant really see why
> it isnt there. Doing it via WinPT I find a bit tediouse with the file
> manager window?! Any thoughts?

As far as I know, real deletion of a file is almost impossible on modern
operating systems and file systems.
If you have an improvement for WinPT, the author is certainly very interested
in it.

Best,