[Gpg4win-users-en] AES256

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Jun 2 17:03:51 CEST 2006

Hi David,

Am Freitag, 26. Mai 2006 13:01 schrieb David Gray:
> Just starting a project where one of our customers will be sending
> encrypted data files from their windows based servers to be
> decrytpted on our VMS servers.
>
> They have not yet decided which product they will use for for encryption
> but I'm hoping to steer them down the GnuPG path as I've done a quick
> test and it works perfectly between those two operating systems.

your question probalby best asked on the gnupg-users list itself:
But now that you are here, I'll have a go at it anyway.

Note that GnuPG is quite specific towards encrypting, verifying
single emails or files for asyncronous transfer.
If you have online access you could use scp or a networkfilesystem over
an encrypted VPN as well.

> One question they have asked which I'm not sure of the answer is that can
> GnuPG handle the AES256 alogorithm?  The gpg --version on my VMS system
> shows...
>
> $ gpg --version
> gpg (GnuPG) 1.2.3
> This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
> under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.
>
> Home: /SYS$LOGIN/gnupg
> Supported algorithms:
> Pubkey: RSA, RSA-E, RSA-S, ELG-E, DSA, ELG
> Cipher: 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH
> Compression: Uncompressed, ZIP, ZLIB
>

> AES256 is listed as a cipher but not a public key?  What is the
> The difference?

Check out http://www.gnupg.org/gph/en/manual.html#AEN210
for some of the concepts.

> I was hoping to use asymmetric keys with me
> Giving the public key to the customer.  As mentioned before this all
> Works fine but I'm not sure which alogorithm I'm using when encrypting.
>
> So after all that my question really is, how do I set the alogorithm to
> AES256
> in windows so I can test decrypts on VMS?

Short answer: You do want to use a hybrid method with something else
as asynmetric method. AES is only symmetric, but will be used inside.