[Gpg4win-users-en] GnuPG and The Bat!

Richard H. Stoddard rstoddard at voyager.net
Sun Oct 15 06:57:20 CEST 2006

Greetings,

I posted a version of this to the TBUDL and PGP basic users group
awhile ago, and did get some advice. However, I'm still having
problems using GnuPG, and maybe it's more appropriate here, since the
problem seems, at least to me, to be GnuPG, not TB!.

I am able to decrypt and verify signatures okay after setting GnuPG as
my default within TB!. However, when I try to sign or encrypt, it
gives the pass phrase dialog box, but then I get an error message
saying there is no default secret key. I've repeatedly checked the
preferences to make sure the paths are correct, but still can't get
over this hurdle.

I checked the properties on my key again, and this time looked more
carefully at the subkeys. The DSA subkey can sign and certify, while
the ELG-E subkey, which has a different subkey id, can encrypt. (The
default id is the DSA key number.) Neither of them have the
authenticate box checked. Is this my problem? And if so, how do I
overcome it? I've tried everything I can think of, but to no avail.
Should I just generate a new keypair and use different settings?

Cheers,
Rick