[Gpg4win-users-en] Error when installing gpg4win with WinPT -- need newer GPG version

Michael G dontwantspam2001 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 26 19:39:44 CEST 2006

Hi,

I am running Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2.  I just tried to install GPG4Win 1.0.6 on a computer with an old Sourceforge version version of GPG.  How can I safely delete the old Sourceforge version (which I do not care about) and still maintain my current commercial version of PGP?  When I try to run WinPT, the error is "Sorry, you need a newer GPG version.  GPG version 1.2.1 required 1.4.2.  Merely trying to install the latest 1.4.5 version over the top of the current one; this doesn't work.

If someone could kindly tell me what to do (or even point me in the direction of a good FAQ where this question has been answered, it would be a great help  One potential problem I spot already: the old Sourceforge version installs to \GPG, where the GPG4win version installls to \Program Files\GPG.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Michael