[Gpg4win-users-en] Thunderbird in gpg4win?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Aug 9 17:10:37 CEST 2007

Dear /a thankful gpg4win user,

On Thursday 09 August 2007 13:45, gpg4win at gmail.com wrote:
> I have for a year been using Thunderbird together with enigmail. I'm
> very pleased with both enigmail and thunderbird.
> It's open source, actively developed, free, works on most OS, allows ssl
> connection to mail servers, and includes a key manager.
>
> Would it be possible for you to include this in your package?

We do consider taking up other packages (there is a list of candidates at
http://www.gpg4win.de/candidates.html), but we will never include all
possible packages.

You have already mentioned reasons for taking up Thunderbird,
a few reaons for not integrating it are:
* there is already a good Windows packages for Thunderbird
* With about 6 Mebibyte, it would increase the package size significantly
  (we are at 9 Mebibyte now and below 6 for the light package).
* We probably would have a hard time setting up the automatic crosscompilaton
  for it.

> If not, would it be possible for you to mention it on the web site and
> add a link?

Currently we do not have a link page for similiar applications on Windows.
I consider it useful to have one as well.
We probably would need somebody who maintains the list.

> Another suggestion is that you add bittorrent download for gpg4win on
> your website. .torrent is very popular, and sometimes the download
> interrupts from your server, forcing people to try again and again. Some
> users might give up on downloading when the download drops several
> times. If you need help with creating a .torrent and uploading I could
> perhaps help. But maybe you prefer to do it yourselves?

We have added some mirrors and it is quite
interessting to know the download number roughly.
We have considered offering something like a .torrent,
but did lack the time to research and do it.
So your help is appreciated. Fell free to open a wish on the development
plattform and submit some .torrent file there for example.

Best,