[Gpg4win-users-en] Problem with extra hyphen

Jeffrey Kaplan gordol at gordol.org
Thu Jun 7 17:37:54 CEST 2007

Hello, Sorin Srbu.

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 09:14:10 +0200 you said:

> > What tool are you susing for signing mails?  GPGol?
>
> Beats me. I just installed the gpg4win v1.1.0-bundle and that's about all I
> know. I only click the sign-button and that's it. Where can I find what tool
> I'm using for the signing part?

I think you're talking about two different things.  Werner is
apparently talking about the PGP/GPG digital signature and you're
apparently talking about your own sig, as inserted by your mail client
at the bottom of your message.

> If the extra hyphen is a requirement, how would I go having it on a separate
> line from the "-- "?

You can't.  It's a requirement of the spec that when there is a "sig
separator" (the '-- '), to add the leading '- ' to it specifically to
break the separator.  This is because some email and usenet clients
have PGP support built in, AND will strip the sender's sig from the
message.  Combine these two functions, and you'd wind up stripping the
digital sig prior to processing it, thus rendering it unverifiable.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan                                         www.gordol.org
The from userid is killfiled             Send personal mail to gordol

You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull
his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you
understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send
signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that
there is no cat.  (Albert Einstein, when asked to describe radio)