[Gpg4win-users-en] Problem with extra hyphen

Sorin Srbu sorin.srbu at orgfarm.uu.se
Fri Jun 8 08:36:13 CEST 2007

Jeffrey Kaplan <> wrote on Thursday, June 07, 2007 5:38 PM:

> Hello, Sorin Srbu.
>
> On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 09:14:10 +0200 you said:
>
>>> What tool are you susing for signing mails?  GPGol?
>>
>> Beats me. I just installed the gpg4win v1.1.0-bundle and that's about all I
>> know. I only click the sign-button and that's it. Where can I find what
>> tool I'm using for the signing part?
>
> I think you're talking about two different things.  Werner is
> apparently talking about the PGP/GPG digital signature and you're
> apparently talking about your own sig, as inserted by your mail client
> at the bottom of your message.

Yes and no. 8-) I do sign my mails (*did* in fact; it was to much of a bother
with all hyhens) with GPGol (saw the logo in the options in Outlook-settings),
and the problems I have  is with my own signature when I sign the mails with
GPGol.

>> If the extra hyphen is a requirement, how would I go having it on a
>> separate line from the "-- "?
>
> You can't.  It's a requirement of the spec that when there is a "sig
> separator" (the '-- '), to add the leading '- ' to it specifically to
> break the separator.  This is because some email and usenet clients
> have PGP support built in, AND will strip the sender's sig from the
> message.  Combine these two functions, and you'd wind up stripping the
> digital sig prior to processing it, thus rendering it unverifiable.

But the "-- " only comes into play when somebody replies to my mail, not
before. Am I missing something here??

PS. Whenever I reply to a message on this list, I end up with the replying
person's mail address, not the list address. Is this by design of the list?
DS.