[Gpg4win-users-en] Report on Vista, Office 2007, Outlook 2007

Glen gb2 at c5i.net
Sat May 12 06:15:48 CEST 2007

Greetings -

Just wanted to file a report on gpg4win.

I am running Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit and Microsoft Office
Enterprise 2007, all with the latest patches as of today.  I just
downloaded and installed gpg4win 1.0.9.

The installer appears to have functioned correctly.  User data and
keyring directories were set up appropriately for Vista.  However, the
installer failed to add the path information to the system path
correctly, which meant you couldn't run the binaries from the command
line until you either fixed the path or changed to the directory.  I
chose to use Regedit to modify the registry entry
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
Manager\Environment\Path and added the C:\Program Files\GNU\GnuPG\ entry
to that key, which, after a reboot, resolved that problem.  The ported
GNUPG binaries all appear to work correctly, and they recognized my
SFTP'ed Unix keyring files when I copied them in from my Unix account.
Well done so far on that front.

I then turned my attention to Outlook.  I recognize that Outlook 2007 is
not supported by gpg4win, so I am just providing this as a contact
report for your interest.  The key manager and other tools do appear in
Outlook, so you can set properties on the system and manage your keys
from within Outlook.  However, buttons or contextual menus or other
means of signing, encrypting, and decrypting messages are completely
non-functional at this stage.  I attempted to relax macro security
without result.  I also attempted to manually add the gpgol.dll to the
Outlook COM Add-ins list without success.  The GPGOL system does not
show up in the list of Outlook or COM Add-Ins, and it cannot be added by
hand.  Because I have Outlook 2007, Outlook 2003 refuses to install
("there can be only one!" apparently) however I am confident that the
system would work properly with Outlook 2003.

I hope this information is helpful to someone.

Glen