[Gpg4win-users-en] Report on Vista, Office 2007, Outlook 2007

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon May 14 17:14:16 CEST 2007

Hi Glen,

On Saturday 12 May 2007 06:15, Glen wrote:
> Just wanted to file a report on gpg4win.

thanks, we love all feedback!

> I am running Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit and Microsoft Office
> Enterprise 2007, all with the latest patches as of today.  I just
> downloaded and installed gpg4win 1.0.9.
>
> The installer appears to have functioned correctly.  User data and
> keyring directories were set up appropriately for Vista.  However, the
> installer failed to add the path information to the system path
> correctly, which meant you couldn't run the binaries from the command
> line until you either fixed the path or changed to the directory.  I
> chose to use Regedit to modify the registry entry
> Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
> Manager\Environment\Path and added the C:\Program Files\GNU\GnuPG\ entry
> to that key, which, after a reboot, resolved that problem.  The ported
> GNUPG binaries all appear to work correctly, and they recognized my
> SFTP'ed Unix keyring files when I copied them in from my Unix account.
> Well done so far on that front.

Ideally could you file a report with our gpg4win tracker about
this path being missing? This way it cannot be forgotten.
Probably this is an issue with the Nsis installer software that we use.

> I then turned my attention to Outlook.  I recognize that Outlook 2007 is
> not supported by gpg4win, so I am just providing this as a contact
> report for your interest.  The key manager and other tools do appear in
> Outlook, so you can set properties on the system and manage your keys
> from within Outlook.  However, buttons or contextual menus or other
> means of signing, encrypting, and decrypting messages are completely
> non-functional at this stage.  I attempted to relax macro security
> without result.  I also attempted to manually add the gpgol.dll to the
> Outlook COM Add-ins list without success.  The GPGOL system does not
> show up in the list of Outlook or COM Add-Ins, and it cannot be added by
> hand.  Because I have Outlook 2007, Outlook 2003 refuses to install
> ("there can be only one!" apparently) however I am confident that the
> system would work properly with Outlook 2003.

The people from GPGOL will appreciate this feedback as well,
see http://www.g10code.com/p-gpgol.html.

Thanks again,