[Gpg4win-users-en] gpg4win, pgp-interaction and DSA2 support

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Apr 6 12:12:32 CEST 2009

Hi Matthias,

Am Samstag, 4. April 2009 22:32:20 schrieb Mattias Johansson:
> My previous pgp-keys doesn't work with gpg4win, basically any key with
> a bigger DSA than 1024 will give me strange errors. for ex when I try
> and sign another key it says that that key has expired even though it
> hasn't and signing fails repeatedly. The same keys work fine in a
> newer version of pgp so I know the keys are fine. A smaller pgp-key,
> like 1024/4096 works fine in gpg4win
>
> After hours on the net I've realised that everything bigger than 1024
> is DSA2, and this exists in the "real" gpg (with '--enable-dsa2')
> under linux, but not in the windows version?

if you have some knowledge of OpenPGP and the command line,
I suggest to try a lot of the operations on the command line
on Windows to seperate the problem.

> Please correct me if I'm wrong. Is there any page which states the
> constraints of gpg4win, like what keys/ciphers/hash works etc etc?

Usually "gpg2 --version" will give you an idea what the crypto backend can do.

> I'm using several platforms, so I want keys that work as well on linux
> as on windows, but I rather have the largest keys possible... and 1024
> is more a default that I hope to avoid.

The Windows and GNU/Linux variants of GnuPG are basically the same
so they should have the same capabilities.

> Manual
> -----------
> I'm looking for any information regarding more advanced features in
> gpg4win. I can't read german but from what I gathered from babelfish
> even the advanced manual doesn't seem to discuss dsa2 and various
> ciphers and how to create your keys according to your own specs?

True, the advanced manual does not cover this.
The gui frontends are mainly for the daily usage operations and mainstream
configuration options. If you would like to have something more out of the
ordinary, you need to consult the GnuPG documentation directly.

Which version of Gpg4win did you try? The 1.9.x?
If not, try it. I thought we can do DSA2 and there is a selection of key
length in the wizard for generating a new key.