[Gpg4win-users-en] pinentry asks the same password three times (Psi 0.13, three accounts with the same private key)

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Aug 20 12:09:21 CEST 2009

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 10:45, kiav1976 at mail.ru said:

> process viewer. Psi starts gpg for every Psi account in spite of the same
> key id.

Thanks.  I now know what happens: We serialize the starting of the
pinentry so that you won't get several pinentries at once if several
clients ask gpg-agent for a passphrase.  This somewhat hides the actual
problem:

Client-1:                Client-2:
  enter get_pw
  if not in cache
     start pinentry
                           enter get_pw
                           if not in cache
                              wait for other pinentry return
     pinentry returns
     put pw in cache          start pinentry
  return pw                   pinentry returns
                              put pw in cache
                           return pw

Thus a pretty standard problem.  Due to the layering of the code it is
not trivial to fix but it needs to.

Assigned bug#1109.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner