[Gpg4win-users-en] Is gpg4win dropping winpt?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Jun 3 08:18:24 CEST 2009

On Tue,  2 Jun 2009 17:20, bnsmith001 at gmail.com said:

> I heard yesterday from a WinPT support person that gpg4win is dropping
> WinPT.  I'd like to get a response on this claim from gpg4win, but I

I tried to update WinPT for 1.1.4 without success.  They seem to have
dropped the cross build environment we once integrated.  That is a no-go
for Gpg4win.

WinPT is also a Windows only tool and we try to avoid this.

> Yet dropping WinPT is just ridiculous without some major compatibility
> issue.  WinPT is an awesome tool, far more flexible and easy-to-use
> that other gpg front-end.

The problem is that WinPT is a dead end.  It is hard to change without a
pure Microsoft toolchain and the community is only interested in
Windows.  Whereas many of the Unix folks try their best to write their
software as portable as possible.  If you look at the recent changes in
GPA you will notice many more features than in GPA; in particular a
smartcard support which is even more advance than the one in the gpg
CLI.

It is a lot of work to support several frontends; time is spare and
thus we have to concentrate on those which fit best into our development
system.

If the WinPT folks would provide a version which cleanly builds with
gpg4win we may consider to enable it again.  Anyway, gpg4win is a meta
installer and can build your own installer with WinPT.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner