[Gpg4win-users-en] group support (was: Is gpg4win dropping winpt?)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Jun 18 16:16:08 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 03 June 2009, Barry Smith wrote:
> - The one global problem that I see in ALL gpg front-ends is group
> support... ---
>      Note: a "group" in GPG is the function/process to define a name
> for a group of keys, and encrypt to that group name using all of the
> keys (and groups) associated with the "group name".
> ---

Note that the stance of Werner is that optimally the using client or frontend
should handle the group case. E.g. with KMail (or Konqueror) you can add an
contact (aka address) entry and put in all keys that you would want to use
for encryption. The main reason is that the frontend client knows much more
about the circumstances then the backend.

This is the reason why the "group" hack in gnupg is not enhanced to help
frontends to actually make use of it.

> -  ... which is what inspired me to start pouring through the code
> for FireGPG and see if I could help them add group support to their
> application.
>
> I've presented some ideas to the FireGPG team lead, and am working to
> make part of group support in FireGPG as similar to use as FireGPG's
> support of keys.  The solution is still in the design stage, so I'll
> stop this discussion now on-group. :)

Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, Osnabrück, DE; AG Osnabrück, HRB 18998