[Gpg4win-users-en] Is gpg4win dropping winpt?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Jun 18 16:13:02 CEST 2009

Barry,

On Wednesday 03 June 2009, Barry Smith wrote:
> Yes, I know that it's bad form to reply to yourself on-list, but I
> have received three private emails in reply from fellow list members.

it is all fine! Your interest in Gpg4win is much appreciated!

@all, your opinion is really appreciated, so you are all free to speak up, ask
questions or just complain. (Of course we appreciate if you try to find an
answer first and if you keep it polite, but I think this goes without saying.
;) )

Werner already explained that there are technical difficulties
in maintaing a WinPT build within the Gpg4win installer.
If those problem can be solved, by anyone, we can consider adding it to
Gpg4win again.

The current plan of Gpg4win2 is to make Kleopatra the main key management
application.

> There isn't really a decent choice of front ends
> available for Windows, and WinPT, although in desperate need of
> further development, is about the only decent way left of managing GPG
> via a GUI.

Well GPA and Kleopatra might not be there yet,
but because of their cross plattform nature, their development
perspective is slightly better because of the greater community.
Also both frontends use the modern way of connecting to the backendstack,
called gpgme.

This is another technical drawback of frontends:
They should use gpgme and the gpgconf interfaces to be more update-save.

> -- If you are a gpg user and you like and use WinPT... and you think
> that it is a good part of the gpg4win package, let the gpg4win
> administrators/builders know.  Speak out loud on this list, and make
> up a bug report and speak to them that way as well.
> (I was told once that a bug report was the only way to get anything
> done. Not sure I agree, but it was only a suggestion to me.)

Doing a report is good, because arguments and discussion can be focussed at
one point and archived. Of course it is fine to speak out on the list as well.

> Enjoy gpg4win.  Currently it's a great package.

Thanks again for your feedback!
We are really interested in your opinion about Gpg4win2,
as we are very close to releasing 2.0.0 (e.g. unless something bad happens, we
will release it before the Berlin GNU/Linuxtag, which means this or next
week.)

Best,

Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, Osnabrück, DE; AG Osnabrück, HRB 18998