[Gpg4win-users-en] How to upgrade from 1.0.8?

IW iain at holuwon.com
Thu Sep 10 08:55:28 CEST 2009

Pada Thu, 10 Sep 2009 07:02:23 +0200, "Bo Berglund"
<bo.berglund at telia.com> menulis email dengan judul (Re:
[Gpg4win-users-en] How to upgrade from 1.0.8?):

>  Which is kind of strange because
> HTML is just a text based format in the first place. Why would it not
> work?

Try configuring outgoing html email (which I personally loathe) as
obvious attachments...then have enigmail sign the attachment. Of course
most over zealous servers or clients will reject as "suspicious." Are
you encrypting with ASCII Armoured format or regular?

I suspect one reason it will not sign HTML mail (I could be wrong) is
that there are post-configuration action that take place when you
queue or send the email (the email is post-processed to incorporate the
html coding) which would make encrypting the email impossible. At
least, I did experience this some year ago with another email
client.

> Now I wonder what will happen if I try to re-install gpg4win 1.0.8?
> Will it overwrite GPG 1.4.9 with some older version or will it put a
> different GPG version side-by-side so Enigmail will still work?

It should.

> If it overwrites the newer GPG with an older one, will that destroy
> my keyrings and other infrastructure?

It should not.

> I use Outlook for my email and I can't switch to Thunderbird since OL
> is auto downloading all my email every 10 minutes. So I really want
> encryption in Outlook.

Of course you can switch. Either deactivate the auto-download or
configure the email to remain on the server and use Thunderbird to
fully download. Or just stop using OL.

Another alternative for you to consider is install a GPG/PGP program
that allows you to sign/encrypt directly into your email. This would
also resolve your html issues above. It is not efficient as it is
manual but it works.

I am using UBUNTU for my OS but also run Windows XP. I use PGP Desktop
VS 9 on Windows for just that purpose. I find it quite useful for
encrypting the contents of text files, doc files etc. And it has hot
keys (CTRL-SHIFT-E for encrypt for example) that speed things up.

IW