[Gpg4win-users-en] GpgOl problem (was: How to upgrade from 1.0.8?)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Sep 10 18:00:32 CEST 2009

Am Donnerstag, 10. September 2009 16:19:54 schrieb Bo Berglund:
> But when I started Outlook sometimes there was a message box telling
> me it could not start because some service was not running.

Usually starting Kleopatra earlier fixes this particular issue.

> Now I have downloaded the last GPG1 gpg4win version (1.4.1) and installed
> it and I have Outlook integration (for plaintext messages).
>
> Lets see what happens when I start communicating with my co-workers across
> the ocean.
> They installed gpg4win 2.0.0 and they have MS Office 2007 instead of 2003
> like I have.
>
> What does "not work with Exchange" mean?
> Is the type of mail server important? I would have believed that the mail
> *client* was all that mattered.

GpgOL  - the plugin for Outlook
can only send out emails if _not_ send directly via Exchange.
Sending via SMTP will work.

This is just the sending side. When coupled with Exchange, Outlook uses
different code to transfer the message which will subsequently be send via
Exchange (as far as I have understood the situation).

For email transportation it does not matter, as long as the email gets
transported correctly.

> I am a remote user and I connect via POP3 to an Exchange mail server to
> download my mail (nothing stays on the server), whereas the co-workers
> are users on the same LAN as the Exchange server and use Outlook in the
> "viewer" mode where all mail stays on the server.
> Will this make a problem?

I guess you coworkers cannot send out encrypted/signed emails with Gpg4win
2.0.0 (or 2.0.1rc1). Let them try and report, it would be a suprise if it
works though, given they are really using Outlook+Exchange.