[Gpg4win-users-en] Keyring in public location

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Feb 19 10:18:07 CET 2010

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 23:58, madduck at madduck.net said:

> C:\Programs\GNU\GnuPG\pub seems like it's set at compile time.

No, it isn't.  Actually GnuPG does now know about "pub" - this is only
used by the wrappers (see the first line of "gpg --version --version").

> My point is that the default is in a public location.

No it is not the default.  You or another tool changed the default by
using one of these methods:

  1. GNUPGHOME envvar

  2. The registry key HKCU\Software\GNU\GnuPG:HomeDir.  Note that, as
     usual, if that key is not found it is also searched under HKLM.

  3. The shell variable CSIDL_APPDATA.

I noticed that the manual is not fully correct:

  @item --homedir @var{dir}
  @opindex homedir
  Set the name of the home directory to @var{dir}. If this option is not
  used, the home directory defaults to @file{~/.gnupg}.  It is only
  recognized when given on the command line.  It also overrides any home
  directory stated through the environment variable @env{GNUPGHOME} or
  (on W32 systems) by means of the Registry entry
  @var{HKCU\Software\GNU\GnuPG:HomeDir}.

It should better differentiate between POSIX and W32.  IF you want to
check the code, look at gnupg/common/homedir.c.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner