[Gpg4win-users-en] 2.0.2rc1 - Can't start agent when I use --homedir

Grant Olson kgo at grant-olson.net
Mon Mar 1 02:57:29 CET 2010

I'm not sure if I'm missing a configuration issue, but...

I wanted to make a dummy keyring for testing.  I created a test
directory "test/gpg".  From the 'test' directory, I ran "gpg --homedir
gpg --gen-key."  When it's time to set the passphrase, I get the
following error:

Change (N)ame, (C)omment, (E)mail or (O)kay/(Q)uit? o
You need a Passphrase to protect your secret key.

gpg: can't connect to the agent: Invalid value passed to IPC
gpg: problem with the agent: No agent running
gpg: can't connect to the agent: Invalid value passed to IPC
gpg: problem with the agent: No agent running
gpg: Key generation canceled.

To rule a few things out, I ran "gpg --gen-key" without a homedir.  I
was able to create a key.  Pinentry started up as expected.  I also
tried copying the entire contents of my real gpg directory "Application
Data/gnupg" into the test directory "gpg".  I still get the same error.

Do I need to do something to configure this?  Or is it a bug?  Or a feature?

-Grant