[Gpg4win-users-en] Users using PGP 8.0 can not decrypt attached files made in GPG4Win

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue May 25 12:57:41 CEST 2010

Hi Morten,

Am Montag, 17. Mai 2010 22:50:03 schrieb Morten Abrahamsen:
> We are moving from PGP8 to GPG4WIN w/Kleopatra

wonderful. Which version of Gpg4win did you test so far?

> Still many are using PGP8 as still using Windows XP
>

> My problem is that when some using GPG4Win sends an attached file to one
> using PGP 8.0, they can not open it.
>

> As long as file type is gpg, it does not even recognize it
>
> If I rename the .gpg to .pgp I can encrypt but the file is given a strange
> name. I then have to rename it to filen.extention and I can open it.

If you can decrypt it with the right file name, this means that the
crypto-format it self is already compatible.
(It should be because the OpenPGP format, both are using was actuall developed
for interoperability. For some history see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Good_Privacy#OpenPGP )
This is good.

> This is to complicated for many users
>
> There must be a setting in GPG4Win so it can be compatible with PGP 8
>
> I heared something about a gpg.conf file but not sure what options to add
> to get it to work

gpg.conf is about the crypto options. From your description above, the crypto
option already seem to be alright so the gpg.conf options will not help you.

The remaining issue will be about how the encrypted file is sent and received.
The standard for this is PGP/MIME and I do not know if Outlook with PGP 8 is
actually fulfilling the MIME requirement. From your description is seems like
it does not. There is a non-MIME way to send crypto contents, but it has
practical drawbacks (with file names and encodings) and it has to do with the
email client. Which one do you want to use Outlook? (Without exchange?)

Best,

Deputy Coordinator Germany: fsfe.org. Board member: www.kolabsys.com.