[Gpg4win-users-en] Users using PGP 8.0 can not decrypt attached files made in GPG4Win

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri May 28 12:06:28 CEST 2010

Morton,

Am Dienstag, 25. Mai 2010 16:43:15 schrieb Morten Abrahamsen:
> Not sure if i should just reply to this will add it to the public list.
> I hope so

yes, it worked. (You had the list address in there.)

> To make sure we understand each other.
>
> We mostly use Windows Outlook 2003-2007, no exchange server.

Good, GpgOL should work with this setting.

> When I encrypt text in outlook mail window and decrypt, the PGP8 user can
> encrypt. This is working well.

Also good.

> What is not working is if i browse using Windows Explore, find a file,
> right click "encrypt", then attach

Is it an option to just attach the file to the email?
With Gpg4win2 it will be encrypted as part of the email encryption.
(Technically the new GpgOL will use PGP/MIME as strongly recommended by
OpenPGP. So this will sign and encrypt attachments on the email by default.)

> The PGP8 user will save attachment and browse to the file, right click an
> Encrypt.
>
> This is what is not working
> I have tried to ecrypt as gpg and acs files, non of them work

Ah, okay, the file manager is GpgEx that you are using.
You are saying that the resulting name on the target system is not directly
recognised by the explorer. (So context menu and double click will not open
it.) I am quite sure this is a windows setting that could be changed to also
recognise the file types.
(I cannot currently check, maybe another windows user as a hint here.)

> Would that depend on E-mail client program?

The filename of the target system depends on the sending and receiving email
systems. Technically their method of how to attach the file in the MIME
format. This is something that could be broken for your process, but I did
not understand that you were using the filebrowser to encrypt the file before
you attach it.

Did you try to rename the file before attaching on the sending system, after
using GpgEX to encrypt it?

Best,

Deputy Coordinator Germany: fsfe.org. Board member: www.kolabsys.com.