[Gpg4win-users-en] Kleopatra and Elgamal 4,096 bit key length?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Nov 10 14:45:27 CET 2010

Am Freitag, 1. Oktober 2010 14:29:34 schrieb spencerforhire:
> I've been using GPG on OS X for a while and one of the default Elgamal
> key lengths (per GPG Keychain Access) is 4,096 bits and there is no
> option for 3,072 bits.  I just installed Gpg4win and noticed Kleopatra
> doesn't offer a 4,096 bit key length, the largest is 3,072 bits.
>
> I will be communicating with others who will be in this same situation
> (using GPG on both OS X and Windows) so I'm looking for advice on the
> best way to deal with this - fixing the key length options on OS X to
> provide a 3,072 bit key or Windows to provide 4,096?

I am not familiar withe the Elgamal specs, but key length is only specified at
certificate creation. Still OpenPGP implementation will deal with different
key length of other certificates dynamically.

In short: Just use the 3096 length to create your certificate and all should
be fine.

BTW: Kleopatra is just a frontend to gnupg, you could create your certificate
on the command line and use the full set of options of GnuPG if you wanted to
and then continue using it with the gui applications.

Deputy Coordinator Germany: fsfe.org. Board member: www.kolabsys.com.