[Gpg4win-users-en] broken vanilla gpg4win file

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Oct 5 09:15:14 CEST 2012

Am Donnerstag, 28. Juni 2012 22:39:51 schrieb logical american:
> I downloaded the "gpg4win-vanilla-2.1.1-34299-beta.exe" file, attempting
> to install it on my PC.

As always there is an OpenPGP signature beside the file, e.g.
  http://files.gpg4win.org/Beta/gpg4win-2.1.1-34299-beta.exe.sig

(Instructions how to verify this can be found from
http://www.gpg4win.org/package-integrity.html)

> It too is broken and the message says NFIS_Error on attempted installation.
>
> There is no SHA1 signature that I can find for this executable, just a
> signature???

Yes, it seems we did not provide a SHA1 checksum for this beta.
Note that you would still need to make sure you've got the right checksum to
verify. And the signature itself also contains a checksum.)

You could use the 2.1.0 Gpg4win release, for which we do provide a SHA1
checksum.

> Sorry, but I am having a very hard time here trying to get secure
> software installed and running.
>
> Perplexed and puzzled first time gpg4win installer

Thanks for trying Gpg4win, there is certainly a need for more documentaiton
about crypto software.

Best Regards,