[Gpg4win-users-en] Configuring http proxy for keyserver access

Dr. Peter Voigt pvoigt at uos.de
Sat May 18 01:02:13 CEST 2013

Am Fri, 17 May 2013 12:46:51 +0000
schrieb "Maszerowski, Thomas" <Thomas.Maszerowski2 at xerox.com>:

> I am trying to setup Gpg4win 2.1.0 on Win 7 but I'm behind an http
> proxy here at work. I've tried including it with the server name but
> that doesn't seem to work. Is there a way to globally set it? Also,
> if I try to use an http:// keyserver GPA gives me an error about a
> missing plugin. This happens with or without the http proxy
> specified. Thanks.

Well, as I'm just tuning my Squid configuration, I'm interested in this
topic.

The gpg manpage says:
"http-proxy=value
       Set the proxy to use for HTTP and HKP keyservers.  This
       overrides the "http_proxy" environment variable, if any."

Furthermore, I've found the following in my documented gpg.conf:
# honor-http-proxy = if the keyserver uses HTTP, honor the http_proxy
#                    environment variable

I'm a bit confused, because the manpage of gpg and the comments in my
gpg.conf appear to be contradicting in the sense that the manpage does
not mention "honor-http-proxy" and my commented gpg.conf does not give
any hints to "http-proxy".

And even more: I've found no hint how to pass a proxy-user and a
proxy-password.

My default keyserver uses HKP. If I had complete information I would
drive some tests with an HTTP keyserver and my Squid proxy with
authentication.

If you are lucky and do not need any authentication you could try out
these settings.

Regards,
Peter