[Gpg4win-users-en] key 0xEC70B1B8 trustable ? Self-signed SSL cert in DANE dnssec ?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Nov 20 12:15:02 CET 2013

Hi Bry8,

On Saturday 16 November 2013 at 17:09:35, Bry8 Star wrote:
> Is the gpg4win pkg signing key 0xEC70B1B8 trust-able ?

yes (up to a certain point, which is normal for all certificates).

At Intevation about 10 people have access to the certificate
and its length is 1024D. So it is _not_ a high security certificate,
but was considered sufficient to secure contents integrity three years ago.

> What is the full fingerprint ?

pub   1024D/EC70B1B8 2010-03-19 Intevation File Distribution Key
<distribution-key at intevation.de>
 Primary key fingerprint: 61AC 3F5E E4BE 593C 13D6  8B1E 7CBD 620B EC70 B1B8

> Why it's full key is not shown over a HTTPS secured webpage ?

It is at https://ssl.intevation.de/Intevation-Distribution-Key.asc
We should link this from http://gpg4win.org/package-integrity.html
good point.

> Why WK (Werner Koch) has not signed it ?

Werner does not sign many certificates anymore.
Also I think we have never asked him. :)

> How a regular FIRST time gpg4win users suppose to trust binary
> packages ?

The executable is signed by
           ID: 0x00CFA0EC
          S/N: 112117F638BDC993B761C6073D63C2F86EC4
       Issuer: /CN=GlobalSign CodeSigning CA - G2/O=GlobalSign nv-sa/C=BE