[Gpg4win-users-en] pinentry.exe crashes in GPG4Win-Light on Windows 7 Prof. with Russian locale

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Oct 31 09:35:24 CET 2013

Hi Ivan,

On Monday 28 October 2013 at 17:51:41, Ivan Krylov wrote:
> I'm probably suffering from the same bug as reported in
> <https://wald.intevation.org/tracker/?group_id=11&atid=126&func=detail&aid=
>1550>.

> I also see the crash dialog for "pinentry.exe" in libglib-2.0-0.dll.
>
> Setting "pinentry-program C:/Program Files/GNU/GnuPG/pinentry-gtk-2.exe"
> in %APPDATA%/Roaming/gnupg/gpg-agent.conf helps, but it's a bit too much
> for people I would like to introduce to the GPG world, so I would have
> to create the configuration file myself leaving wrong impression of
> unnecessary complicating things.

is this better with the full Gpg4win (that possibly uses pinentry-qt4)?

> pinentry-w32.exe also works.
>
> Is there something I can do to make the default pinentry.exe run "out of
> the box"? Or, maybe, a possibility of another release of GPG4Win-Light
> featuring working pinentry.exe?

Some developers pounder to remove the light variant because the necessary
efforts to maintain it.

> Please let me know if there is any debugging info I should be able to
> provide to fix this bug.

Best would be to add this info from your email to the wald report.

Then we could try to qualify the report further, e.g. by
a) trying to create an easier reproduction, like a calling pinentry directly
  pasting in some characters and then have the crash.
http://info2html.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/info2html-demo/info2html?
(pinentry.info.gz)Protocol

call pinentry directly and get it to crash
   pinentry.exe
   SETDESC hi use utf-8 encoding like %25
   GETPIN

b) trying to get a debugger backtrace of the crash

If you like to join the development list, this is where we can help people
better when stuff gets more technical. :)

Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück, Germany; Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HRB 18998
Owned and run by Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner