[Gpg4win-users-en] gpg4win problems--related? (explorer crash, enigmail cannot find enigmime)

Neil Richardson (mail filter) 8rcbjrupem at snkmail.com
Sat Apr 12 20:49:24 CEST 2014

Sorry for the delay, I wanted to try to be as thorough as possible
in the steps I was testing.

On March 24, 2014 1:42:32 AM PDT, "Bernhard Reiter
bernhard-at-intevation.de |gpg4win-users-en mailing list|" wrote:

>sometimes, some remains from old install will throw the new
>installation off.
>(There are too many ways this can go wrong on windows, this is why the
>developers cannot just cope with all cases gracefully in code.)

Before doing any of the tests you suggested I uninstalled gpg4win,
scrubbed references of "gpg" from the registry (list of keys removed
is available if needed", deleted the Start Menu folder, etc.  The
only thing I didn't do was delete the environment variable pointing
to the [non-standard] folder where I keep my public/private keys
(nor did I delete my keyrings).

Then I reinstalled gpg4win, and used the command-line to "--verify"
the digital signature of a file, and it worked perfectly.  But when
I did right-click on the signature and tried to verify, Explorer
crashed again.  :-(  Then I tried the tests you suggested:

>Try a command line operation to see if your crypto backend is set up
>okay.
>E.g.  gpg2 --list-keys

This worked fine.

>gpg2 --list-secret-keys

This worked fine.

>gpg2 --clearsign x.txt

This worked, it even brought up a UI window named "pinenter" for my
password (which really surprised me given that the rest of the UI
was CLI. :-)

Do you have any other suggestions I can try?

Thanks,

-Neil

--
Supreme Lord High Commander and Keeper of the Holy Potato
GPG key ID: 0xE098F32E